In many instances, the best time to see a lawyer is not when you are in legal trouble, but before trouble occurs. Never think of a lawyer as a “last resort.” Preventive law is one of the most valuable services a lawyer can perform for you. Like preventive medicine, it can eliminate potential problems and help you save money.
Some of the situations in which you should consult a lawyer are:
- Before buying or selling real estate
- When you have been injured, either on the job, in an accident, as the result of another person’s neglience or because of a defective or unsafe product
- Before signing a lease or contract with major financial provisions
- Before making a will or planning the distribution of your property
- Before organizing a business
- If you are involved in an accident in which there is injury to persons or damage to property.
- When there are changes in your family status—marriage, adoption, divorce
- When you have tax problems or questions
- If a lawsuit is brought against you, or you want to bring a lawsuit against someone